5 PLACES TO WORKOUT – OTHER THAN THE GYM
By Margot Rutigliano | Updated January 15, 2019
The gym, while functional, can get boring at times. Day in and day out, people flock to gyms all over the United States to take part in their daily workouts. For some, the gym is a motivating place with people and energy that keep them focused. But for some people, the gym becomes a chore which can lead to not working out and a lack of interest in fitness. A change of scenery may be just what you need if you’re not in the mood for a people packed, sweat smelling, iron pumping gym.
At our fitness retreat, we love using outdoor spaces to mix up workouts and keep things fresh and new. Check out these five inspiring workout spots to lift your spirits and re-invigorate your workout surroundings. Whether you’re doing cardio, strength or stretching, you can take your workout to any of these places for some fresh air and a new, inspiring space.
WORKOUT INSPIRATION – 5 DIFFERENT SPACES
1. Beach – Enjoy the scenery of the beautiful ocean and the cushion of the sand on your joints. The beach can provide a perfect alternative for working out as you can burn up to 50% more calories just by getting your power walk in on the soft sand. If you’re used to hitting the pavement for your morning runs, the sand will provide a soft cushion for your feet resulting in an impact that isn’t quite as harsh. Great for walking, running, yoga, power workouts and more, the beach is good for the body and mind.
2. Mountains – Equally as impressive as the beach, the mountains provide a source of fresh, clean air mixed with amazing views. Strong and expansive, working out in the mountains challenges your fitness to the next level with varied terrain and higher altitudes. Hiking, bodyweight workouts, mountain biking, yoga and more can be done. Even if you can’t or don’t feel comfortable heading up high, mountain views can be just as wonderful. Find a field or yard with views of the snow capped mountains and you’ll feel instantly refreshed.
3. Garden – The quiet, serene environment of a garden is great for yoga, stretching, Pilates and meditation. The aromas of fresh flowers and plants mixed with beautiful colors can put you in the perfect mood to get into your yoga practice. Take in the beautiful scenery and appreciate the moment while you take a few deep breaths and let all of your stress leave your body.
4. Pool – Water tends to have a calming effect on people. Pools are perfect for workouts in and out of the water. Set up your workout station right next to the pool and enjoy a fresh air workout with the water right next to you. After the workout, a dip in the pool will feel cool and refreshing. If you’re a water baby, take your workout in the pool. Jumping jacks, squats, running and lunges are all challenging and impact free in the water. Treading water, speed laps and swimming with just your arms can also mix up your water workout and have your body pumping in different ways.
5. City View – Sometimes it’s the strength of a city that can be motivating. City views while working out provide a running movie to watch. The hustle and bustle of cars and people can take your mind off of working out making the time appear to move at lightening speeds. Enjoy the architecture of buildings, colors of people’s clothing and the energy of life in motion. To get a city view, you’ll need to head to a roof top deck or a space with windows.
Mixing it up is important to maintain your interest in fitness. Sometimes it’s not about the workout but rather the surroundings. A simple change even for just one day can be enough to re-invigorate your workout interest and have you wanting more. When the weather is nice, take advantage of the outdoors. Incorporate one new space each week just to make sure you’re keeping it fresh.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post! If you have questions or comments, please leave them in the comment section below.
Retreats: If you’re in need of a change, join us for a fitness retreat to jumpstart your healthy habits! Workout at the beach, enjoy healthy fare and relax with stress reduction and spa.
Health & Wellness Coaching: If you’re in need of personalized guidance, check out our Health & Wellness Coaching. Coach with us online or in person.
Best In Health & Wellness,
Margot + The Vita Vie Retreat Team